Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Good Judgment

Jesus said, “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.” [1] Jesus was speaking to His disciples.

Is all judgment equal? St. Paul says, “the spiritual man judges all things.” [2]

If I notice it is raining, I make a judgment: “I should bring my umbrella.” God gave me a mind. He wants me to use it to discern between good and bad choices. If I am about to be hit by a car and someone shouts, “Watch out!” They are not saying that I am a horrible person. They are not condemning me. The person is acting on a perceived danger to my life. Imagine if I am about to touch a hot stove and someone says, “I would not do that. But I do not want to be judgmental. Whatever makes you happy.” If they do not tell me the possible consequence of my action, I will get burned. Would that be a loving thing to do? Absolutely not.

Can someone judge my moral actions? Can someone say to me: “That is not good for you? You were made for something better.” Of course. A loving person wants what is best for me. They do not want to be apathetic or indifferent towards me. Cain protested when God asked him about his brother’s whereabouts. He asked God “Am I my brother's keeper?” [3] That is not love.

A range of factors in our lives may impair our choices. We do not need someone condemning us, but we do need coaches to advise us in helpful and loving ways. Professionals are usually professionals because they receive good coaching from others.

Good judgment is a gift from God.

When we love someone, love moves us to speak and act to save them from harm’s path and to steer them towards God’s blessings. Certainly, we should do so prudently, at the right time and in the right way, and with great gentleness, humility, and compassion. Our judgments should stem from love for people. That is how we want the Lord to judge us, right?

[1] Matthew 7:1-2
[2] 1 Corinthians 2:15
[3] Genesis 4:9

No comments:

Post a Comment