Friday, February 19, 2021

The Lord Transforms Pits into Praises

“I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps.

He has put a new song in my mouth—Praise to our God; many will see it and fear, and will trust in the Lord.” [1]

The Psalmist was in a horrible pit. His feet were stuck in miry clay. The imagery is of being in a disgusting dark hole. He is not able to free himself. He needs someone to rescue him. To whom does he turn? For whom does he wait? The Lord! And the result is...

A new song to sing!

The Lord transformed his pit into praise!

Other examples of tragedies transformed into anthems of tribute include...

“I can only Imagine” – a triple platinum winning song

By Bart Millard after his father died of cancer

“What a Friend we have in Jesus”

By Joseph Scriven after his beautiful fiancée drowned the day before their wedding. [2]

“It is well with my Soul”

By Attorney Horatio Spafford after his business burned down in the Chicago fire and his four daughters drowned at sea. [3]

Bart, Joseph, and Horatio composed praise songs to God. “Many will see it and fear and will trust in the Lord!” People witnessed the power of God resurrecting these men from their tombs of despair and many placed their faith in God as well. Their witness for Christ came from hearts able to sing with new glory.

What horrible pit and what miry clay do you need the Lord to transform into a new song? Wait patiently! Our Lord is a master composer. He turns sighs into songs!

[1] Psalm 40:1-3
[2-3] lifewayresearch.com - unknown back stories to three well-loved hymns

No comments:

Post a Comment