Monday, December 28, 2020

Psalm 31: A Song and a Prayer

David’s song and his prayer are to the Lord. He sings and prays…

“In You, O Lord, I put my trust; let me never be ashamed; deliver me in Your righteousness.” [1]

David’s king and his father-in-law, Saul, persecuted him. At one point, he lived among the idolatrous Philistines rather than in Israel to escape from Saul.

David had conquered foreign armies, but toward King Saul, he would not lift his sword. Though Saul fell from grace, he was still the Lord’s anointed leader. So, what did he do? He prayed! He asked the Lord to…

“Bow down Your ear to me, deliver me speedily; be my rock of refuge, a fortress of defense to save me.” “…For Your name’s sake, lead me and guide me.” [2]

Rescue me quickly, defend me strongly and guide me successfully!

He recognizes that he needs the Lord’s help, and he asks the Lord for it. He recognizes that he is a hunted man and needs God to protect him from being captured. He knows that the Lord is his Redeemer and that God’s verdict on his life’s value is truth.

“Pull me out of the net which they have secretly laid for me, for You are my strength. Into Your hand I commit my spirit; You have redeemed me, O Lord God of truth.” [3]

Though he lived among idolaters for a time to escape from King Saul, he did not become one.

“I have hated those who regard useless idols; but I trust in the Lord.” [4]

He said to the Lord…

“I will be glad and rejoice in Your mercy, for You have considered my trouble; You have known my soul in adversities and have not shut me up into the hand of the enemy; You have set my feet in a wide place.” [5]

The Lord had an open ear toward David. He was willing to listen to David speak of his troubles and hardships. David’s Messiah… David’s Redeemer… would one day experience even more hardships than he did…

[Jesus] was “despised and rejected by men,
A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.
And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him;
He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.
He bore our griefs and carried our sorrows.
He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed.
The Lord laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
He was led as a lamb to the slaughter.” [6]

So, David prayed with confidence because he knew the Lord understood and cared for him. His enemies slandered him. Intimidated him! Made well-devised plans to kill him! But the Lord delivered him and shined His face upon Him.

“I hear the slander of many; fear is on every side; they take counsel together against me, they scheme to take away my life.” “But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord; I say, ‘You are my God.’ My times are in Your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies, and from those who persecute me. Make Your face shine upon Your servant; save me for Your mercies’ sake.” [7]

David praised the Lord, saying, “Oh, how great is Your goodness, which You have laid up for those who fear You, which You have prepared for those who trust in You in the presence of the sons of men!” [8]

The Lord hid David in the secret place of His presence from the plots of man. He protected David from the strife of tongues. [9]

David blessed the Lord because the Lord showed marvelous kindness in a strong city! [10]

What does David do with his joy in the Lord? He turns it on his listeners. He urges us…

“Oh, love the Lord, all you, His saints! For the Lord preserves the faithful, and fully repays the proud person. Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord.” [11]

AMEN!!!

[1] Psalm 31:1
[2[ Psalm 31:2-3
[3] Psalm 31:4-5
[4] Psalm 31:6
[5] Psalm 31:7-8
[6] Isaiah 53:3-7
[7] Psalm 31:13-16
[8] Psalm 31:19
[9] Psalm 31:20
[10] Psalm 31:21
[11] Psalm 31:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment