Monday, October 11, 2021

Preposterous Outrageous Yet Wonderful

God’s love moves Him to pursue even when we try to evade Him. He offers to us an uncommon opportunity for a renewed relationship with Him...

“They say, ‘If a man divorces his wife, and she goes from him and becomes another man’s, may he return to her again?’ Would that land not be greatly polluted? But you have played the harlot with many lovers; yet return to Me, says the Lord.” [1]

“Though you have been unfaithful, return to Me.” The Lord does not want us to perish in our sin. He does not want a heaven without us, but we have to turn to Him if we want to be saved.

“...You have polluted the land with your harlotries and your wickedness. Therefore the showers have been withheld, and there has been no latter rain. You have had a harlot’s forehead; you refuse to be ashamed. Will you not from this time cry to Me, ‘My Father, You are the guide of my youth?’” [2]

Just as Adam and Eve’s sin defiled paradise, so our sins defile the places where we live. Rain being withheld can serve as a metaphor for anything that we depend on for our well-being. The Lord can withhold such blessings to make it easier for us to reconsider our need for Him. He wants us to rely on Him for help. He WANTS to be our FATHER.

“...I am merciful, says the Lord; I will not remain angry forever. Only acknowledge your iniquity, that you have transgressed against the Lord your God, return, O backsliding children, says the Lord; for I am married to you. I will take you, one from a city and two from a family, and I will bring you to Zion. And I will give you shepherds according to My heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding.” [3]

The Lord assures us that if we return to Him that He will not treat us as our sins deserve. He will bring us to a better place. He will give us good shepherds who feed us excellent spiritual food.

“Break up your fallow ground, and do not sow among thorns.” [4] For seed to produce, it needs to fall on ground that has been broken up and on ground that has been cleared of weeds. These are metaphors for a heart that is tender towards the Lord and a heart that has been cleansed of the love of the world’s sinful pleasures.

“O my soul, my soul! I am pained in my very heart! My heart makes a noise in me; I cannot hold my peace, because you have heard, O my soul, the sound of the trumpet, the alarm of war.” [5]

The Lord experienced much heartache for the people of Jerusalem. War was coming, but it could easily have been averted if they repented of sin and returned to the Lord.

“Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for Your outrage against betrayal. You should not be content to be treated this way. Thank You also for Your great love, mercy, and compassion towards us. That You are ready to forgive us, embrace us, identify with us, and guide us! Thank You! Praise You! Help us to love, honor and serve You as we should. In Jesus’ Name we pray. Amen.”

[1] Jeremiah 3:1
[2] Jeremiah 3:3-4
[3] Jeremiah 3:12-15
[4] Jeremiah 4:3
[5] Jeremiah 4:19

No comments:

Post a Comment