Sunday, October 24, 2021

United With God

“Thus says the Lord: “The people who survived the sword found grace in the wilderness...” [1]

The people were afraid. Their earthly economy and security seemed to be ending. A conquering nation was about to overcome their capital. The prophet of the Lord was in prison. The Lord gave Jeremiah a message of grace in this ominous moment. Though life as they knew it was ending, the Lord promised to be gracious to them in the new life that was coming.

“The Lord has appeared of old to me, saying: ‘Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you. Again I will build you, and you shall be rebuilt, O virgin of Israel! You shall again be adorned with your tambourines and shall go forth in the dances of those who rejoice.’” [2]

They would survive the calamities and even enjoy a time of music and rejoicing. The Lord’s everlasting love and lovingkindness towards them would be the key to their longevity.

“Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, and the young men and the old, together; for I will turn their mourning to joy, will comfort them, and make them rejoice rather than sorrow. I will satiate the soul of the priests with abundance, and My people shall be satisfied with My goodness, says the Lord.” [3]

In the Lord’s presence, there is rejoicing and dancing. He turns mourning into joy. He greatly comforts us. He takes our sorrow and gives us His joy. He gives His goodness to us.

“I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul.” [4]

This is what the Lord does. He gives us a download of spiritual replenishment.

“This is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.” [5]

Knowing the Lord comes on the heels of His forgiveness. When we ask the Lord to forgive our sins, He does forgive them. In fact, He forgets them. And once our sin is purged, He gives us the greatest blessing... the blessing of knowing and loving Him. God and us united!

[1] Jeremiah 31:2
[2] Jeremiah 31:3-4
[3] Jeremiah 31:13-14
[4] Jeremiah 31:25
[5] Jeremiah 31:33-34

No comments:

Post a Comment