Friday, August 2, 2019

Following Jesus

“My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me? Why are You so far from helping Me, and from the words of My groaning? O My God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear; and in the night season and am not silent.” [1]

Jesus quoted from the above passage while He hung on the cross. The Bible tells us that He who knew no sin became sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. [2] So, God denied His own Son’s plea for rescue, not for any wrongdoing on His part, but for the sins of humanity.

“…They pierced My hands and My feet; I can count all My bones. They look and stare at Me. They divide My garments among them, and for My clothing they cast lots.” [3]

These words were written long before Jesus was crucified but describe accurately what happened to Him. Have you ever been mistreated as a result of your obedience to God? Most of God’s servants have been at one time or another. Peter wrote, “Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial, which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.” [4]

“All the ends of the world shall remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations shall worship before You.” [5]

On crucifixion day, Jesus looked like a loser. He did not have a mega-church. He was not personally rich materialistically-speaking. However, the faith He died for… the Christian faith… did spread to all the ends of the earth. People in every generation since His first coming, have turned to Him and become Christians. Every week on planet earth, families worship before Him. I am one of them.

One of the wisest men who ever lived, Solomon, advised us this way…

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” [6]

The Bible is about trusting in the Lord. It is about acknowledging God. Letting go and letting God! May the Lord help each one of us in this way, both for our sake, and for the sake of the people we hope to see in eternity with us.

[1] Psalm 22:1-2
[2] 2 Corinthians 5:21
[3] Psalm 22:16-18
[4] 1 Peter 4:12-13
[5] Psalm 22:27
[6] Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment