Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Relationships that Yield God–Worship

“If I have made gold my hope, or said to fine gold, ‘You are my confidence;’ if I have rejoiced because my wealth was great, and because my hand had gained much; this also would be an iniquity deserving of judgment, for I would have denied God who is above.” [1]

Placing hope and confidence in gold; rejoicing in wealth and achievements; Job said this was iniquity. What is iniquity? Iniquity refers to an unjust balance. Gold and personal achievement cannot compare to the value meaningful relationships with God and people.

Once, the devil took Jesus up on an exceedingly high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. He said to Jesus, ‘All these things I will give You if You fall down and worship me.’ But Jesus said to him, ‘Away with you, Satan! For it is written, you shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’” [2]

Things are lifeless. God is full of life. Love, joy, and peace are from God. Healthy relationships spring forth from people who are in fellowship with God.

The majority of addicts and alcoholics that I have listened to have cited a lack of meaningful relationships, or a loss of a meaningful relationship as the starting point from which their substance abuse began.

Jesus asked us a good question. We do well to consider it. He asked, “What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?” [2]

The bottom line is the devil uses “things” to lure us away from the blessings of God that yield life. Our Lord Jesus Christ gives us meaningful relationships with God and others. He gives to us life eternal with God and with all love God.

Therefore, let us daily choose to: “Worship the Lord our God, and serve Him only.” Let us invest in relationships that yield worship towards God.

[1] Job 31:24-25, 28
[2] Matthew 4:8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment