Monday, April 19, 2021

Disciples Despite Adversity

The proper response to the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead is to go and make disciples in His Name as He commissioned us to do.

Acts 20:4 speaks of the fruit of Paul’s discipleship ministry: Sopater, Aristarchus, Secundus, Gaius, Timothy, Tychicus and Trophimus. He recruited laborers for the Gospel harvest. I discovered via cross-referencing that all but Gaius came from cities that persecuted Paul. In other words, the odds of success in these places were severely against Paul. Yet, by God’s grace he prevailed.

Below is my finding from the cross-referencing research:

Sopater of Berea – people from Thessalonica incited a riot against Paul in Berea [1]

Aristarchus and Secundus were Thessalonians - a riot was incited against Paul in Thessalonica [2]

Gaius of Derbe – Paul was stoned in Lystra and traveled to Derbe the next day [3]

Timothy was from Lystra – the people stoned Paul here [4]

Tychicus and Trophimus were from Ephesus – a riot broke out against Paul [5]

Paul lived for the Great Commission. Despite adversity, the Lord helped Paul to make disciples.

Paul told the elders of the Church in Ephesus...

“And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the Gospel of the grace of God.” [6]

“Dear Heavenly Father, please grant us the grace to make disciples that will advance the proclamation of Your great love for humanity and of Your saving grace. In Jesus’ Name, I pray. Amen.”

[1] Acts 17:13-15
[2] Acts 17:5-7
[3] Acts 14:19-20
[4] Acts 14:19-20; 16:1-2
[5] Acts 19:23-41 (riot) Acts 20:4; Ephesians 6:21–22; Colossians 4:7; Titus 3:12; 2 Timothy 4:12; western text indicates Tychicus was an Ephesian; Acts 21:29 (Trophimus)
[6] Acts 20:17, 22-24

No comments:

Post a Comment