Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Humble Love

“Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,
Let not the mighty man glory in his might,
Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
But let him who glories glory in this,
That he understands and knows Me,
That I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness,
judgment, and righteousness in the earth.
For in these I delight,” says the Lord.” [1]

Problems increase when we glory in ourselves. God did not create us to glory in ourselves. He created us to glory in Him. I have found by experience that I am at my worse when I turn inward, but at my best when my eyes are on Jesus.

“By pride comes nothing but strife, but with the well-advised is wisdom.” [2]

When measuring others by standards that I take pride in, I do a disservice. It is better to begin from a base of love.

For Jeremiah, humility was not thinking less about himself. It was about thinking of himself less, and about other people more.

“Oh, that my head were waters,
And my eyes a fountain of tears,
That I might weep day and night
For the slain of the daughter of my people!” [3]

Jesus urged us to practice servanthood and humility. 
“He who is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” [4]

“Dear Lord, thank You for showing us what humble love looks like.”

[1] Jeremiah 9:23-24
[2] Proverbs 13:10
[3] Jeremiah 9:1
[4] Matthew 23:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment