Sunday, July 26, 2020

Well Done Good & Faithful Servant

Nehemiah was a cupbearer for King Artaxerxes of Persia. He referred to himself, Israel, and Moses as the Lord’s servants. Suddenly, by God’s grace, this humble servant of God and king was sent to lead the rebuilding of Jerusalem’s walls. [1]

Paul referred to himself as the prisoner of the Lord. He appealed to a slave owner named Philemon to let Onesimus serve the Lord. He wrote to Philemon, saying, “I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten while in my chains. He once was unprofitable to you, but now is profitable to you and to me. I am sending him back. You therefore receive him, that is, my own heart.” [2]

Paul referred to Onesimus as a son. Apparently, Paul had led Onesimus to believe in Christ. Onesimus was now a born-again believer in Jesus Christ. Paul called him “my own heart.” In other words, very dear to him.

Paul reminded Philemon that he owed his life to him. Paul had led Philemon to Christ. He wanted Philemon to treat Onesimus as a partner and to receive him with the same respect that he would receive the apostle. He wrote, “If then you count me as a partner, receive him as you would me. But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account. I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay—not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides.” [3]

One out of every five people in the Roman empire was a slave. Slavery was common. Though Paul was not enslaved to any man, he often referred to himself as a slave of Jesus Christ. So, did Peter, John, and James! Jesus Christ did the work of a slave when He washed His disciples feet. He urged us to have the same mindset.

The concept of serving the interests of another above one’s own interests is so foreign to us today. Early Christianity was widely embraced by slaves. They turned what was considered contemptible, namely servitude, into a badge of honor.

The good news about being a slave of Christ is that His ultimate goal for us is to tell us at the end of our lives: “Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord.” [4]

I too want to be locked into serving such a loving Lord as Jesus Christ.

[1] Nehemiah 1-2
[2] Philemon 1:11-12
[3] Philemon 1:17-19
[4] Matthew 25:21

No comments:

Post a Comment