Friday, July 10, 2020

Prevailing While Relying

Has the Lord done miracles for you?

In 1985, my wife and I were directing the New Life Evangelistic Center of Columbia, Missouri. The ministry involved sheltering homeless women and children, as well as providing utility assistance, free clothing, and food distribution for those who walked into the center during office hours. Our goal was to share the Gospel with people.

One day, I experienced a severe allergic reaction followed by a high fever of 104. I was advised at a free clinic to go to ER. I did and was admitted. After three days, my health had not improved, but my medical bill had reached $1,700. The hospital sent a social worker to me who asked me how I planned to pay my bill. I told her that I did not have a salary and was living by faith. I would pay the bill by faith. She did not like that answer. She noted that my wife and I both had college degrees. She told me that we would have to pay the full amount.

After considering her words, I checked out from the hospital. I did not want my debt to the hospital to keep on increasing. I was still sick and weak. I went home and went to bed. Sherry directed the ministry center. I started reading the Bible day and night. I read the entire Bible from to cover to cover in 28-days.

On the 28th day, the Lord brought 2 Chronicles 13:10-18 to my remembrance. I felt impressed that I was to sound a trumpet and shout to the Lord. I found a vacuum cleaner pipe and was able to make a sound through it three times. Then, I shouted, “Victory in Jesus! Victory over sickness! Victory over finances! Victory for Sherry’s upcoming childbirth! Victory for paying the hospital bill!

That very day my fever broke. My strength returned. There was a roll out of blessings afterwards.

The State of Missouri began forcing people on state aid in hospital beds out to the streets. The hospital called us and asked us to house them in our shelter. We did. Later, a lady on the Board of Regents at the hospital saw that I owed the hospital money and cancelled my bill of $1,700 and reduced Sherry’s upcoming birth fee from $3,000 to $500. Soon after that, an out of state donor sent us a random gift of $500 to cover any personal bills that we might have.

While I was ill, a lady named Bunny Walters began helping Sherry in the ministry center. Bunny eventually took over the ministry which freed us up to go to China and preach the Gospel. God boosted our faith by these miracles. When our first child was born, we named her Grace with no middle name, because we could testify that God’s grace enough. Glory to God!

I am an advocate for bold faith in God in the face of trials. I am an advocate for Christians rising up and relying on God to do miracles. Nothing is impossible with God. Let us be believing believers!

“The Lord is our God, and we have not forsaken Him; and the priests who minister to the Lord are the sons of Aaron, and the Levites attend to their duties. And they burn to the Lord every morning and every evening burnt sacrifices and sweet incense; they also set the show bread in order on the pure gold table, and the lamp stand of gold with its lamps to burn every evening; for we keep the command of the Lord our God... Now look, God Himself is with us as our head, and His priests with sounding trumpets to sound the alarm against you. O children of Israel, do not fight against the Lord God of your fathers, for you shall not prosper!” [1]

“Jeroboam caused an ambush to go around behind them; so, they were in front of Judah, and the ambush was behind them. And when Judah looked around, to their surprise the battle line was at both front and rear and they cried out to the Lord, and the priests sounded the trumpets. Then the men of Judah gave a shout and as the men of Judah shouted, it happened that God struck Jeroboam and all Israel before Abijah and Judah. And the children of Israel fled before Judah, and God delivered them into their hand. Then Abijah and his people struck them with a great slaughter; so, five hundred thousand choice men of Israel fell slain. Thus, the children of Israel were subdued at that time and the children of Judah prevailed, because they relied on the Lord God of their fathers.” [2]

Picture: The New Life Evangelistic Center as it looked in 1986.

[1] 2 Chronicles 13:10-12
[2] 2 Chronicles 13:13-18


No comments:

Post a Comment