Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Holy Spirit's Help

“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore, be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.” [1]

Wolves refers to false prophets. Jesus urges us to be wise and harmless when among them.

“Beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their synagogues. You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles.” [2]

“Deliver you up. This is a technical word, in this context, used for handing over a prisoner for punishment. Persecution of believers has often been the official policy of governments. Such persecution gives opportunity for testifying to the truth of the Gospel.” [2]

“But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should say. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.” [3]

What a blessing! The Spirit of the Father speaks for us when we do not know what to say.

Twice, while riding trains between Shenzhen and Guangzhou, China, I witnessed to men who happened to be communist party members.

During the first incident, the man began yelling out hate crimes that Christians have committed against humanity. During his tirades, I was asking the Lord what to say. Finally, he stopped yelling and waited for me to reply. By this time, it seemed to me that everyone in the train car was staring at me. I spoke slowly, respectfully, and as I would to a friend, “Sir, I do not know about the hate crimes you have spoken about, but I do know that since I gave my life to Jesus, He has not led me to hurt anyone. I am in your country helping widows and orphans. I tell people that God loves them.” Miraculously, he did not say another word after that, and when the train rolled to a stop, he did not have me arrested.

During the second incident, a soldier dressed in civilian clothes told me that he had killed Christians. He said that if a Christian-God existed, that the Christian-God would kill him. I was speechless until the Holy Spirit brought to my remembrance the story of the thief on the cross. I told him how Jesus forgave the thief and promised to him eternal life. Jesus could forgive him as well. The man did not convert, but he did not arrest me either. He told me that he was with the secret police.

The Holy Spirit is the Wonderful Counselor. He can bring forth truth in the most unlikely places to the most unlikely recipients. Our part is to be led by Him and to have confidence in His ability to bring the Gospel of Jesus to others through us.

[1] 
Matthew 10:16
[2] Matthew 10:17-18
[3] Matthew 10:19-20  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment