Saturday, April 2, 2022

Biblically-Based Shepherding

“...I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.” [1]

Paul set an example for the elders of the Church of God, and for Christian leaders of all generations. His example was to place the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace above all other tasks, even above the task of self-preservation.

“Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which He bought with His own blood.”

The elders of the Church of God were to watch over themselves spiritually and over God’s flock. Their identity was??? To be overseers and shepherds of the church of God. What was the value of the people that they were appointed to protect and provide for? Their value was the matchless worth of the Son of God’s own blood. He redeemed their souls with the price of His own blood.

This week, my son-in-law, Todd Fletcher, who is highly successful pastor in Colorado, gave me a book by Alexander Strauch that is well-researched, well-thought-out and well written on the topic of shepherding. Todd’s highest priority has been to develop a Biblically-based-leadership group. The Lord has blessed his church with depth and growth. I am praying that the Lord will do the same for the First Church of the Nazarene in Kirksville.

[1] Acts 20:24
[2] Acts 20:28




No comments:

Post a Comment