Saturday, August 8, 2020

Blessed are Those who Mourn

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” [1]

It is good to mourn losses. Unless we do, we may not receive the comfort that we desperately need. Jesus invites us to mourn. He is not against people who lack happiness. He comforts them.

Job’s friend Eliphaz saw him mourning and offered him advice:

“Behold, you have instructed many, you have strengthened the weak hands. Your words have supported him who was falling, you have made the feeble knees firm. But now it has come to you, and you faint. It touches you, and you are troubled. Isn’t your piety your confidence? Isn’t the integrity of your ways your hope?” [2]

Job had lost everything! 10 children! His livestock! His property! He was physically afflicted and in great pain. Eliphaz seems to be taunting him. “Now, it has come to you, and you faint.” Let Job mourn! He needs to process his losses. Pray that the Lord will comfort him, and every other person like him.

“My heart is severely pained within me. The terrors of death have fallen on me. Fearfulness and trembling have come on me. Horror has overwhelmed me. I said, ‘Oh that I had wings like a dove! Then I would fly away and be at rest.’” [3]

The Psalmist experienced heart pain, terror, horror, and trembling. He wanted to flee. He tells us why…

“I have seen violence and strife in the city. Day and night, they prowl around on its walls. Malice and abuse are also within her. Destructive forces are within her. Threats and lies don’t depart from her streets.” [4]

Law and order had disappeared. People were being destructive. Abusive speech and misinformation were in the news daily. If that wasn’t bad enough, a close friend betrayed him…

“For it was not an enemy who insulted me, then I could have endured it… But it was you, a man like me, my companion, and my familiar friend. We took sweet fellowship together. We walked in God’s house with company.” [5]

How did he overcome disappointment? What was his medical plan for recovery?

“As for me, I will call on God. The Lord will save me. Evening, morning, and at noon, I will cry out in distress. He will hear my voice.” [6]

He received comfort by crying. Crying is a person’s first utterance. He went back to square one. He cried! To whom? GOD! Parents usually respond to their child’s cry. The Lord delivered him from his distress. He was comforted.

Finally, he turns to us and offers us advice on how to overcome grief. He says…

“Cast your burden on the Lord and He will sustain you. He will never allow the righteous to be moved.” [7]

[1] Matthew 5:4
[2] Job 4:3-6
[3] Psalm 55:4-6
[4] Psalm 55:9-11
[5] Psalm 55:12-14
[6] Psalm 55:16-17
[7] Psalm 55:22

No comments:

Post a Comment