Thursday, May 7, 2020

Mercifully Elected

“So then it [election] is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.” [1]

God elects sinners for salvation. We don’t get to do that. In fact, we don’t get to elect ourselves. Election is always a result of God’s mercy.

Jesus spoke of a Pharisee who stood and prayed with himself, “God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.” Jesus spoke of a tax collector who would not raise his eyes to heaven. He beat his breast, saying, “God, be merciful to me a sinner!” Jesus said the tax collector was justified by God. The Pharisee was not. Jesus taught that self-exaltation leads to humiliation, whereas humility before God leads to exaltation. [2]

Brennan Manning wrote that the Gospel is for people who are not too proud to accept the handout of amazing grace. “Honest disciples who admit they are scalawags.” [3]

“Thank You Heavenly Father for being merciful to me. Please help me to be merciful towards others. In the Name of Your Son Jesus I pray. Amen.”

[1] Romans 9:16
[2] Luke 18:9-14
[3] The Ragamuffin Gospel, Multnomah Books, 7680 Goddard St., Suite 200, Colorado Springs, CO 80920

No comments:

Post a Comment