Sunday, March 22, 2020

Speak God’s Word

“Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you; before you were born, I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.” [1]

God reveals to us in Jeremiah a man whose “heroism” is based on divine grace. Before he was born, God called him. Before he did anything good or bad, the Lord ordained him.

“Then I [Jeremiah] said: ‘Ah, Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth.’” [2]

God’s heroes are unlike worldly heroes. They have no confidence in themselves. They don’t seek to be the focus of everyone’s attention. They can live without worldly applause.

“The Lord said to me: ‘Do not say, ‘I am a youth,’ for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with you to deliver you,’ says the Lord. Then the Lord put forth His hand and touched my mouth, and the Lord said to me: ‘Behold, I have put My words in your mouth.’” [3]

The Lord gave Jeremiah marching orders:

Don’t speak negatively of yourself
Go where I send you
Speak what I command you to say
Don’t fear your audience
I will deliver you

The Lord’s equipment for Jeremiah was His Word.

“Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for Your Word, the Bible. Help us to faithfully speak for You as many have done and as many are still doing. In Jesus’ Name, we pray. Amen.”

[1] Jeremiah 1:5
[2] Jeremiah 1:6
[3] Jeremiah 1:7-9

No comments:

Post a Comment