Monday, March 2, 2020

Repentance & Faith

Psalm 38 is of the penitential genre along with Psalms 6, 32, 51, 102, 130, and 143. Penitential refers to repentance of sin. What does repentance look like?

“Your hand presses me down.” [1] David’s agony was because of his own sin. Jesus was made the target of the same agony, but for our sins, not for His own. Jesus sustained the weight for the sins of the whole world. Understanding the agony helps us to understand something of the greatness of the love that sent Him to the cross – for us.

“My iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden they are too heavy for me. My wounds are foul and festering because of my foolishness.” [2] David’s sins were the cause of the crisis. David hoped that an honest and heartfelt telling of his misery would move God’s compassion.

“My loved ones and my friends stand aloof from my plague, and my relatives stand afar off. Those who seek my life lay snares for me; those who seek my hurt speak of destruction, and plan deception all day long.” [3] David’s misery was unrelieved by either friends or relatives. His loved ones either did not care or could not help David. He also faced determined enemies who constantly plotted his destruction.

“For in You, O Lord, I hope; You will hear, O Lord my God.” [4] David chose to allow his affliction to press him towards God instead of away from the God.

“But my enemies are vigorous, and they are strong; and those who hate me wrongfully have multiplied. Those also who render evil for good, they are my adversaries, because I follow what is good.” [5] On the one hand, David felt afflicted because of his lack of goodness before God and on the other hand, he felt afflicted because his peers felt he was too good. “They are my adversaries,” the Hebrew word translated adversaries is the root for the title Satan. “They Satanically hate me, as if they were transformed into so many breathing devils.”  [6]

“Do not forsake me, O Lord; O my God, be not far from me! Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation!” [7] The psalm closes with a heartfelt cry. More than anything, David wanted the sense of God’s presence (be not far from me). It is likely that the absence of that sense was David’s greatest trial in this dark season.

David pressed his need before God with urgency and looked to the Lord as his only salvation. The psalm ends without a change in circumstances but with continued faith in God.

[1] Psalm 38:2
[2] Psalm 38:4-5
[3] Psalm 38:11-12
[4] Psalm 38:15
[5] Psalm 38:19-20

[6]
2019 The Enduring Word Bible Commentary by David Guzik – ewm@enduringword.com
[7] Psalm 38:21-22

No comments:

Post a Comment