Friday, December 14, 2018

The Word of God

Once upon a time in a land faraway, the Director of Hong Kong Youth for Christ, David Chu, passed onto me an illustration that the Navigators had passed onto him.

He asked me to hold out one finger. He asked me if I could hold onto the Bible very well with one finger.

My was answer, "no". He said that trying to hold onto the Bible with one finger was like trying to remember the Word of God with only hearing others preach about it.

He proceeded to add that we needed five fingers to hold onto the Bible so tightly that no one could pull it from our hand. Each finger was a metaphor for a method to retain Bible knowledge. (Please see the attached pictures.) When I gripped the Bible with five fingers, it was difficult for Director David to pull it from my hand.

The Apostle Paul who wrote much of the New Testament and planted churches in Asia minor taught his young disciple, Timothy, in a similar way. He wrote to Timothy:

“Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” [1]

King David, one of God's greatly used men of God, wrote:

“Your Word [Lord] is very pure; Therefore, Your servant loves it.” [2]

“Consider how I love Your precepts; Revive me, O Lord, according to Your lovingkindness.” [3]

“How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your Word.” [4]

Let us endeavor to hear, read, study, memorize and meditate on the Word of God - the Bible.

[1] 2 Timothy 3:15
[2] Psalm 119:140
[3] Psalm 119:159
[4] Psalm 119:9




No comments:

Post a Comment