Saturday, August 4, 2018

Loving God

Short biographies of the kings of Judah and Israel are found in the 112 chapters of the books of Kings and Chronicles in the Bible. The outcomes of their lives are measured by devotion to God and by service rendered to His people. Four of forty-two kings of Judah and Israel are said to have had a heart after God. The first commandment is to love God.

"My servant David kept My commandments and followed Me with all his heart, to do only what was right in My eyes." [1]

"There was no king like him [Hezekiah], who turned to the Lord with all his heart, with all his soul, and with all his might, according to all the Law of Moses; nor after him did any arise like him." [2]

"Jehoshaphat sought the Lord with all his heart.” [3]

"Then the king [Josiah] stood in his place and made a covenant before the Lord, to follow the Lord, and to keep His commandments and His testimonies and His statutes with all his heart and all his soul..." [4]

Sin separates us from God, so let us pray as David did...

"Who can understand his errors?
Cleanse me from secret faults.
Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins;
Let them not have dominion over me.
Then I shall be blameless,
And I shall be innocent of great transgression.
Let the words of my mouth,
and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." [5]

Truly, the best life is a life of love for God and people. 

"Dear Lord Jesus, please fill our hearts with love for YOU. Anoint us and fill us with YOUR precious HOLY SPIRIT."

[1] 1 Kings 14:8
[2] 2 Kings 23:25
[3] 2 Chronicles 22:9
[4] 2 Chronicles 34:31
[5] Psalm 19:12-14

No comments:

Post a Comment