Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Love & Forgiveness

David heard that the Philistines were attacking and robbing the people of Keilah. He asked the Lord, “Shall I go and attack these Philistines?” The Lord said to him, “Go and attack the Philistines, and save Keilah.” [1]

David and his men struck the Philistines with a mighty blow and saved the people of Keilah. [2]

After that, David heard that King Saul was coming to attack him. So, he asked the Lord, “Will the men of Keilah deliver me into his hand?” The Lord replied, “They will deliver [betray] you.” [3]

They were ready to betray David after he delivered them from their enemies. How did he feel about that? Was he bitter? Was he angry?

Well, thanks to the Lord, he escaped from Saul.

Saul and his army continued to pursue David.

The Lord sent Jonathan, Saul’s son, to find David and strengthen him in God. Jonathan said to David, “Do not fear, for the hand of Saul my father shall not find you.” [4]

Saul had 3,000 elite soldiers searching to destroy David. But what happened next? Saul went into a cave to relieve himself. David and his men were hiding in the recesses of that [big] cave. David’s men urged him to kill Saul, but David only stealthily cut off a corner of Saul’s robe. [5]

After Saul left the cave and was a healthy distance away, David called out to him and said, “The Lord delivered you today into my hand… someone urged me to kill you. But my eye spared you. …See that there is neither evil nor rebellion in my hand, and I have not sinned against you. Yet you hunt my life to take it. …Therefore, let the Lord be judge, and judge between you and me, and see and plead my case, and deliver me out of your hand.”

Saul wept. He said to David: “You are more righteous than I; for you have rewarded me with good, whereas I have rewarded you with evil. …The Lord delivered me into your hand, you did not kill me. …May the Lord reward you with good for what you have done to me this day.

Saul went home. David and his men went up to the stronghold. [6]

After reading this story, I thought of how Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus Christ. Jesus even urged Judas, saying to him, “What you do, do quickly.” [7] Jesus knew that God His Father would show the world through something so evil as betrayal, something so evil as the death of an innocent man, that He was indeed God’s Son… The Savior of the world.

Jesus set for us an example of loving His enemies and praying for them. While on the cross, He prayed, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” [8]

“Lord Jesus, please empower us by Your Spirit to forgive and love people always.”

[1] 1 Samuel 23:1-2
[2] 1 Samuel 23:5
[3] 1 Samuel 23:10-12
[4] 1 Samuel 23:16
[5] 1 Samuel 24:1-5
[6] 1 Samuel 24:16-22
[7] John 13:27
[8] Luke 23:34

No comments:

Post a Comment