Saturday, March 26, 2016

Thorns In The Flesh

“In order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” [1]

“God’s power neither displaces weakness nor overcomes it. On the contrary, it comes to its full strength in it (en +astheneia). At issue is how God manifests His power. Paul’s opponents claimed that it is best seen in visions, ecstasies and the working of signs and wonders. [2] Paul, on the other hand, maintained that God’s power is most effectively made known in and through weakness. Indeed, God’s power is made perfect in weakness (teleitai ‘to find consummation’ or ‘be accomplished.’ [3] ‘There is a certain finishing and perfecting power in weakness.’ [4] ‘Not that we are to cherish our infirmities. Weakness of itself will perfect nothing. But when the human vessel is weak, the divine power is especially evident, and the weakness proves to be a fine discipline.’ [5]

Paul accepted his weaknesses and learned to take pleasure in them. Why, because these very weaknesses afford the opportunity for the power of Christ to rest on him. The verb episkenoo …actually means to ‘make one's quarters in’ or ‘take up one's abode in.’ So God’s power not merely ‘rested on’ or ‘over’ Paul but took up residence in him.” [6]

[1] 2 Corinthians 12:7-10
[2] 2 Corinthians 12:1, 12
[3] 2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment