Saturday, May 4, 2013

To Obey is Better than Sacrifice

The prophet told the king
Heed the voice of the Lord
Punish Amalek for what he did to Israel
Destroy them all
Saul gathered soldiers 210,000 strong
He destroyed the Amalekites but…
Spared King Agag AND…
The best of sheep, oxen and their young
Everything despised and worthless
He destroyed

The Lord told the prophet
“I greatly regret that I made Saul king
He has turned back from following Me
He has not obeyed my commandments

Samuel the prophet prayed all night

King Saul set up a monument to himself

Saul blessed the Lord when he saw Samuel
“I have obeyed the commandment of the Lord”
Saul declared

“Why do I hear the voices of sheep and oxen?”
Asked Samuel

“The people spared the best for the Lord.”
Answered Saul

“The Lord sent you on a mission.”
Said Samuel
“Why then did you not obey the voice of the Lord?
Why did you swoop down on the spoil?
Why did you do evil in the sight of the Lord?”
Samuel demanded

“I have obeyed the voice of the Lord
I accomplished the mission
That the Lord sent me to do
The people took the sheep and oxen
The people took the best of things
To sacrifice to the Lord your God”
Saul explained

So Samuel said:
“Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
As in obeying the voice of the Lord?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice
And to heed than the fat of rams
For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft
And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry
Because you have rejected the word of the Lord
He also has rejected you from being king.”

Then Saul said to Samuel
“I have sinned,
I have transgressed the commandment of the Lord
I feared the people and obeyed their voice
Please pardon my sin
Return with me, that I may worship the Lord.”

But Samuel said to Saul,
“I will not return with you
You have rejected the word of the Lord
And the Lord has rejected you from being king over Israel.”

Samuel turned around to go away
Saul seized the edge of his robe, and it tore.

Samuel said to him,
“The Lord has torn the kingdom of Israel from you today
He has given it to a neighbor of yours, who is better than you.”

Samuel mourned for Saul
The Lord regretted that He had made Saul king

With great authority
Comes great responsibility
To obey is better than sacrifice

First Samuel 15

No comments:

Post a Comment