Monday, April 27, 2020

An Exceedingly Happy Ending

“Also the neighbor women gave him a name, saying, ‘There is a son born to Naomi.’ And they called his name Obed. He is the father of Jesse, the father of David.” [1]

At one point in her life, Naomi was exceedingly disappointed. She told the women of her hometown, “Do not call me Naomi (Pleasant); call me Mara (bitter), for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me. I went out full, and the Lord has brought me home again empty. Why do you call me Naomi, since the Lord has testified against me, and the Almighty has afflicted me?” [2]

But God was preserving the genealogy of His Son, the Messiah and Savior of the world, through Naomi...

1) Her move to Moab.
2) Her son's marriage to Ruth.
3) The death of her husband and sons
4) Her return to her homeland
5) Her daughter-in-law’s, Ruth’s, loyalty to her
6) Ruth’s working in barley fields for income

These twists and turns in Naomi’s life led to her cradling a grandson (Obed) in her arms who was destined to become the grandfather of King David. Her grandson was destined to be in the family tree of the Messiah and Savior of the world: Jesus Christ. [3]

So, if you are a follower of Christ, and wonder, like I do sometimes about disappointments, consider this, everything that happens in this world is for the glory of Jesus Christ.

He is Alpha and Omega, the Beginning, and the End. [4]

And by the way, the Book of Ruth ends with Naomi being exceedingly happy. Her story, and ours (who are in Christ) does have an exceedingly happy ending.

[1] Ruth 4:17
[2] Ruth 1:20-21
[3] Matthew 1:5-6
[4] Revelation 1:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment