Friday, December 5, 2014

Being Still Before God

People asked Jesus, “What must we do to do the works God requires?” Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one He has sent.” [1]

Once, during an illness, I lamented because I could not help the homeless. That was my work at that time. Can you relate with the homeless? Can you relate with someone who lacks even a dime to buy something to eat? What some in these situations say is, “Being treated poorly by those who are blessed adds to my pain.”

People asked Jesus what kind of work gains God’s approval. He replied, “The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.” Jesus is the One the Father has sent to us to save us from our sin. God justifies believers in His Son.

All things were created by Jesus and in Him all things hold together. After Thomas saw Jesus alive from the dead, He testified, saying of Jesus, “My Lord and my God.” When a jailer asked Paul and Silas, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” [2]

God’s ways and thoughts are higher than ours. We may want to help rather than be helped, but perhaps being incapacitated is more necessary for us. The Lord says, “Remain in Me the Vine and you will bear much fruit.” [3]

What kind of fruit came forth from the Thomas who testified of Jesus, “My Lord and my God!” History tells us that he took the Gospel to India. In fact, my son-in-law and his family come from the part of India where Thomas had a big impact on the people. When we testify that Jesus is our Lord and God, He brings forth good fruit through us. He, not we, makes it happen. And it may not be as we expected it would happen. It is His grace working through us and He receives the glory!

Faith in Christ is the work God approves! There are many ways to exhibit faith in Christ. Being still and knowing that He is God is one way.

“Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah” [4]

[1] John 6:28-29
[2] Colossians 1:16-17; John 20:28; Acts 16:30-31
[3] John 15:5
[4] Psalm 46:10-11

No comments:

Post a Comment