Friday, November 30, 2012

The Plumb Line & Ripe Fruit

“The Lord was standing by a wall that had been built true to plumb, with a plumb line in His hand. And the Lord asked me, ‘What do you see, Amos?’ ‘A plumb line,’ I replied. Then the Lord said, ‘Look, I am setting a plumb line among My people Israel; I will spare them no longer.’” [1]

A plumb line measures if a wall is built straight. God holds His plumb line against Israel, to see if they are ‘straight’ according to His Word.

Often, we people have the audacity to put a plumb line up to God and tell Him that He does not measure up to our expectations, and that is bad, but it is even worse when God puts a plumb line to us. Why? Because we, not He, are the ones who all fall short of His glory.

“This is what the Sovereign Lord showed me: a basket of ripe fruit. ‘What do you see, Amos?’ He asked. ‘A basket of ripe fruit,’ I answered. Then the Lord said to me, ‘The time is ripe for My people Israel; I will spare them no longer.’” [2]

It is bad when a nation feels the time is ripe to throw God and the Bible away. But it is even worse when God says the time is ripe to no longer spare a nation because it refuses correction.

From the Bible we learn that godly judgment always trumps the judgment of the ungodly.

A song made famous by Frank Sinatra boasts, “It did it my way.” How foolish! God created and sustains the whole universe. He is our Creator. He sent His Son to die for our sins so that we could be forgiven and receive His favor, and yet, we choose to do things our way without Him.

Wise King Solomon wrote, “Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.” And “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but he who heeds counsel is wise.” [3]

Paul told the Corinthian Christians, “I will not boast, except in my infirmities.” “Most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” [4] Paul was at his best for the Lord when he was able to boast in his weaknesses because God gave Him power in those moments.

Furthermore, God gave Paul the right motive. He wrote, “We do all things, beloved, for your edification.” [5] His service was about God and others not himself. May the Lord help us to go and do likewise.

[1] Amos 7:7-8
[2] Amos 8:1-2
[3] Proverbs 12:1, 15
[4] 2 Corinthians 12:6, 9-10




No comments:

Post a Comment